Equal Opportunities Policy
Definition of Equal Opportunities
Equal opportunities is defined as:- The granting of equal rights, privileges, & status regardless of gender, age, race, religion, sexuality, specific background, ability, disability, or social background.
- To ensure that standards relating to equal opportunities are consistent, transparent and in line with the requirements of Pearson and London Bridge College.
- To ensure there are no artificial barriers to any BTEC programmes London Bridge College offers and that BTEC qualifications are, at all stages within the planning, delivery and assessment of learner work:
- available to everyone who can achieve the required standard, free from barriers which restrict access to progression,
- free from overt or covert discriminatory practices with regard to age, colour, creed, religion, ethnic origin, race, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, specific background, social background, ability or disability, observant of the particular requirements of individuals, including those who may require support to undertake learning and assessment , free from any restrictions that are not legally required Equal Opportunities in Terms of Learner Recruitment
In order to do this London Bridge College;
is committed to ensuring that all our students have equal opportunities
This means that we will not tolerate discrimination, harassment or bullying in any form. Everyone is expected to adhere to our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion policy which applies to all staff and learners, irrespective of:
- Sexual orientation
- Marital status
- Socio-economic status.
Our courses are inclusive in that they offer accessible and flexible learning. Learners are fully supported on their programme and every effort is made to break down barriers to learning. Where additional support is required, we will do our best to provide inclusive teaching through differentiation and being aware of the specific challenges faced by some learners.
London Bridge College is committed to ensuring that our services meet the varied and individual needs of our learners, that our employment practices are fair and promote equality, and that we respect a wide variety of lifestyles and cultures.
London Bridge College endorses the following principles:
- All learners are of equal value
- Relevant differences are recognised
- There is mutual respect and good relations between learners, tutors, and staff
- Staff are respected for their values
This policy will be reviewed annually
Last update: September 2020, Review: August 2021